I reached a point where I suspect it's simpler to go through the
shrinking process again, rather than try to retrofit one of my small
headless snapshots. This is mostly due to the changes I made to the
remote-message-sending protocol, to support remote debugging.
This time I'm starting from a more recent starting point, a 3.2
snapshot (the one I've been using since August 2002, when I decided I
was fed up with file-based change management :). Of course, there's much
more to strip out than from my previous starting point, Dan's
2.2-derived "mini" snapshot. But I also get the luxury of not having to
imprint exception handling, weak-reference support, and the
class-builder stuff (it turns out the first two are easy, but the latter
interferes with the imprinting process).
Anyway, I also thought I'd keep some running public notes about the
process, over at Squeak People. See
improvisational musical informaticist
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]