[Squeak Announcements] [ANN] SqueakSource Update 1.3

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 19:12:51 CET 2005

Hi,

we (sponsored by netstyle.ch) merged the official version of
www.squeaksource.com (searching, fixes, etc.) with the latest one of
Impara (logging, groups, deleting, diffs, fixes, etc.) and the one of
the SqueakFoundation into one single version to get all the nice stuff
back into one version.

Since there are some differences in the logic, we created a new new
settings class that can be subclassed to simulate custom behaviour.
Right now there is just the default implementation and one that I am
using for the Pier repository. The idea would be that it is not
necessary to fork SqueakSource anymore, but to extend it and
contribute your specific features to all of its users.

We also removed some old and unused code (blessings) and added a few
new features, such as to move and copy versions around.

To get it loaded follow these steps:

1. Load SqueakSource-lr.158 from http://www.squeaksource.com/ss, hit
'proceed' several times to move old variables to undeclared. Click
'yes' several times to confirm moving variables to undeclared. It
might take a while to recompile several classes. Create a new settings
class as soon as you are asked to select one.

2. Load Seaside2-avi.86 from http://www.beta4.com/mc/seaside/.

3. Reload SqueakSource-lr.158 from http://www.squeaksource.com/ss to
get all the overrides correct.

4. Inspect "self settings explore" from a workspace to see everything
interesting. You should get an instance of YOUR settings-subclass.

5. Saving (or reopening) the image should reload the latest model.
Inspect the expression above again to see if everything runs fine.
Override necessary messages in YOUR settings-subclass to get YOUR
look, emails, welcome text, etc. Contribute your changes to the
official version!

The SqueakSource of "Pier, Magritte and Related Tools" is already
using the new version, the official SqueakSource
(www.squeaksource.com) will soon be migrated to a new machine and
updated (by Philippe Marshall), SqueakFoundation will be probably also
updated soon, since they want to be able to move versions between
repositories ...

Cheers,
Lukas

--