[Newbies] SMMaintainableObject?

Bakki Kudva bakki.kudva at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 16:54:20 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am new to the list and to SmallTalk. I just installed squeak on a
Debian Sarge box yesterday and all went well. I had intalled Seaside
and the required packages such as KomServices etc. It was all working
great and I was having a great time with Seaside's intro tutorials.
Then, in my ignorance when I quit I didn't save the image.

Today when I start squeak I get...

a progress bar -> Reading a stream and then..

'Reading an instance of SMMaintainableObject, which modern class
should I translate to?' popup dialog when I try to open the Package
Loader.

In the debugger it says...

UndefinedObject(object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #classVersion

When I first installed squeak I seem to remember at this point I got a
msg which said something like you are using an older verison (of
something) would you like to update? to which I said yes and it then
displayed the package loader.

I thought it would be simpler to reinstall so I deleted my image file
in my home dir and reinstalled squeak from the tar.gz file and ran
INSTALL again as root.

Still the same problem. Can some one please shed some light on what's
going on and how to fix this?

TIA,

bakki