[Newbies] Omnibase (OSProcess undefined)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Aug 5 14:53:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 07:17:45AM -0700, ernst wrote:

> Have loaded Omnibase from OmniBase-DG.6.mcz (tried also SqueakMap)
> DoIt:   db := OmniBase createOn: 'MyDB'
> and get a walkback because OSProcess is undefined (see below).
> Is OSProcess a class or some kind of global variable?
> How to fix it?

OSProcess is an optional package that you can download from
SqueakMap. It provides file locking methods that are used by
OmniBase. This should work if you are running Squeak on Linux,
Unix, or OS X (but OS X may require additional steps, so ask
a follow up question if you need this).

I have not used Omnibase myself, but I remember some reports of
people running into some problems with it. Sorry I can't be
more specific, but if you run into problems you may be able to
find some discussion about it on either the squeak-dev list or
the seaside list. Seaside developers seem to be most active
in using back end databases with Squeak, so that list is probably
a good place to look if you need help.

Dave