[Newbies] Packages and dependencies (squeakmap and monticello)

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at laposte.net
Sun Aug 13 15:22:31 UTC 2006

itsme213 wrote:
> I am a bit surprised that packages in squeakmap (and monticello?) do not
> seem to be aware of package dependencies. There may be historical or
> technical reasons for this, but for someone coming from Ruby I really
> miss the equivalent of Ruby's "gem" package system:
>
>    gem install foobar
>
> will inspect meta-data on the foobar package, and then locate and
> install any required packages as well if they are not present already,
> before installing foobar. It is also version aware.
>
> Is there a way to do this with squeak packages? Some specific reason for
> not doing this?

This is a real problem currently. However, someone is working on
creating debian-like packages for squeak which will just be perfect in
my opinion.

Some package mainteners write scripts that are launched during the
installation and install the necessary dependencies. Lukas wrote one for
pier and one for Seaside. Normally, SeasideInstaller and Pier on
SqueakMap should install the dependencies.

Bye