[Newbies] Re: Why hasn't Smalltalk been wildly accepted?

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Mon Aug 14 16:15:55 UTC 2006

David Douthitt wrote:
> To my mind, one problem with Smalltalk - and with LISP and FORTH, by the
> way - is the befuddlement when someone asks "Yes, but I want a
> standalone executable, not a new environment." (I might add that all
> three languages are *tops* for me....)

For comparisons sake - it is also interesting to note the traffic in
the Usenet newsgroups.  My reader now posits the following numbers of
unread messages in these groups (as well as Ruby for comparison):

comp.lang.ruby:       5707
comp.lang.forth:       971
comp.lang.lisp:        599
comp.lang.smalltalk:    56

Perhaps Smalltalk could use some "developer marketing" ("Use
Smalltalk! It's great!") as well as IT Manager marketing....

What happened to the commercial interests?  I don't see any ads in
Wired or ACM's Queue for Smalltalk (or LISP or FORTH for that matter...)