[Newbies] Changing error message

Roel Wuyts Roel.Wuyts at ulb.ac.be
Mon Aug 21 15:34:16 UTC 2006

Exception handling should be used to capture exceptional situation
that are beyond the control of your application, such as permission
errors on files etc.

It should not be used to implement a particular control flow. For
example, you can use an exception to return out of a particular
context and return control to some other context. We saw this in an
application that needed to traverse a tree of object, and whenever it
needed to backtrack it raised an error which was caught at the
decision point. So instead of properly implementing the object
traversal, exceptions were used to control the traversal.