[Newbies] Making cultural simulations in Squeak with Kedama

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Thu Aug 24 15:53:23 UTC 2006

Hi all :) .

I have sended this message more that 10 days ago and I have no answer
from the Squeakland mailing list. I'm trying to use Squeak/Kedama for my
thesis but the time of response in the list makes me wonder if this in
the right choice considering the few time I have for it and the fact
that I'm still a beginner with Squeak. So I send the message again to
this list, hoping for the answer. I hope that this will be the right
place (you will see also some other previous discussion, about the
subject, so you can get the context).

-----------------------------

I'm  having problems with Kedama inside Squeak. I don't know if this is
the proper place to put this concerns but the  issue was discuss in this
thread, so I thought that it was (please  if this is not the place point
me in the right direction)

I tried using first the SqueakAtenex.image from the Extremadura project,
because it's what my students and me used the last semester, but
remaking the Epidemic example I found that there is a problem with the
Kedama  menu translation of Kedama in that image. In the english version
you can see four options in the viewer of the Kedama Turtle: "kedama
turtle", "scripts", "kedama turtle breed" and "kedama turtle color". In
the Atenex image you can see four also in that viewer, but one of them
is repeated ("kedama turtle") and "kedama turtle breed" is absent. It
seems that "kedama turtle breed" was translated as "tortuga kedama"
("kedama turtle"), so adding a turtle is possible, but not increasing
the amount of turtles in a breed (at lest not as is explained in the
documentation).

So I tried then the Squeak3.8-6665full.image but Kedama is not available
from the object catalog. Trying to update from server says that no
updates are available from server and using the Squeak Map I can`t find
Kedama either. ¿How can I find/install the Kedama if its not available
in the object catalog of an image?

Then I tried Squeak3.9g-7054.image and Squeak3.9b-7051.image installed
from squeakland directly (without using any deb repository for Ubuntu)
and Kedama is there and I can reproduce the Epidemic simulation example,
but anytime I tried to open a *.pr project I get some error messages
about "MessageNotUnderstood: SmallInteger>>removeKey:ifAbsent:"
and other one about fonts. I can made the pr files run (after getting a
lot of that messages with the "Abandon" window), but some of them can't
run in with the "go" button for example (I need to locate the proper
scripts and make them ticking).

¿There is a image and changes file with Kedama working out of the box,
or there is another way to overcome the problems I show you?

I'm obsessed and passionated with Kedama and multiagents systems. My
master thesis is on collective problem solving and I think that
Kedama/Squeak is the way to go not only in my classroom with the
students as I showed in the SqueakFest, but also in my thesis, so if you
can help me with quick answers, I will be a lot thankful,

Cheers from Colombia,

Offray