[Newbies] HTTPSocket class - getting to the instance

andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Thu Aug 24 15:58:30 UTC 2006

First, Smalltalk is just amazing!  I am so impressed with what it is
possible to do - with practically no knowledge!

Second. Due to my lack of knowledge I am now stuck ;-)

I am still working on the problem of building a Smalltalk version of Wget.
 I have used the HTTPClient as my basic object and that is doing most of
what I want. However, I can't get to the HTTP Headers. I noticed that
HTTPSocket does seem to offer the headers but this is where I get stuck.

The creation methods of HTTPSocket  (i.e. telling it which url to go to)
seem to only exist on the class side.  But the methods for getting to
headers etc only exist in the instance.  I can't work out how to create an
instance of the socket and tell it which url to go to.  All the
construction methods just seem to return the class.

Obviously I am missing something pretty basic. Could someone please
enlighten me?

TVM
AB