[Newbies] Making cultural simulations in Squeak with Kedama

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Aug 24 16:06:27 UTC 2006

> I tried using first the SqueakAtenex.image from the Extremadura
> project, because it's what my students and me used the last
> semester, but remaking the Epidemic example I found that there is a
> problem with the Kedama  menu translation of Kedama in that image.
> In the english version you can see four options in the viewer of
> the Kedama Turtle: "kedama turtle", "scripts", "kedama turtle
> breed" and "kedama turtle color". In the Atenex image you can see
> four also in that viewer, but one of them is repeated ("kedama
> turtle") and "kedama turtle breed" is absent. It seems that "kedama
> turtle breed" was translated as "tortuga kedama" ("kedama turtle"),
> so adding a turtle is possible, but not increasing the amount of
> turtles in a breed (at lest not as is explained in the documentation).

I think the Kedama in SqueakLand Squeak has been updated from the one
in the Extramadura version,

> So I tried then the Squeak3.8-6665full.image but Kedama is not
> available from the object catalog. Trying to update from server
> says that no updates are available from server and using the Squeak
> Map I can`t find Kedama either. ¿How can I find/install the Kedama
> if its not available in the object catalog of an image?

Kedama is, as much as I know, not available for 3.8. (maybe there is
an old version somewhere).

> Then I tried Squeak3.9g-7054.image and Squeak3.9b-7051.image
> installed from squeakland directly (without using any deb
> repository for Ubuntu) and Kedama is there and I can reproduce the
> Epidemic simulation example, but anytime I tried to open a *.pr
> project I get some error messages about "MessageNotUnderstood:
> SmallInteger>>removeKey:ifAbsent:"
> and other one about fonts. I can made the pr files run (after
> getting a lot of that messages with the "Abandon" window), but some
> of them can't run in with the "go" button for example (I need to
> locate the proper scripts and make them ticking).

In 3.9, we put some effort into merging  all changes from squeakland
and extramadura into the standard Squeak release.
Sadly 3.9 brakes backwards compatibility for project loading (.pr
files)... this is unfortunate, and I don't know if this will ever get
fixed.

A problem is a bit that both the squeakland and extramadura people
did not join the 3.9 effort in any way, so all the eToy things are
very likely
not much tested.

       Marcus