[Newbies] HTTPSocket class - getting to the instance

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Aug 24 16:41:56 UTC 2006

On 24 août 06, at 17:58, andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com wrote:

> First, Smalltalk is just amazing!  I am so impressed with what it
> is possible to do - with practically no knowledge!
>
> Second. Due to my lack of knowledge I am now stuck ;-)
>
> I am still working on the problem of building a Smalltalk version
> of Wget.

this is cool
Do not forget to publish on squeaksource :)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Videos/

>  I have used the HTTPClient as my basic object and that is doing
> most of what I want. However, I can't get to the HTTP Headers. I
> noticed that HTTPSocket does seem to offer the headers but this is
> where I get stuck.
>
> The creation methods of HTTPSocket  (i.e. telling it which url to
> go to) seem to only exist on the class side.

but don't they create instances?

get the reference to the class HTTPSocket by bringing the menu and
looking for references (also shift N)
then you can see some uses of the class. I hope this can help you.

>  But the methods for getting to headers etc only exist in the
> instance.  I can't work out how to create an instance of the socket
> and tell it which url to go to.  All the construction methods just
> seem to return the class.

normally they should not.