[Newbies] How to partition an application

andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Fri Aug 25 14:34:49 UTC 2006

I am slowly moving along with my Wget app - thanks to the help from this
list.

However I now need to understand how to 'package' my app so that it is
most useful to other people.  It seems as though there are 3 things I
could do:

1. Add code to the HttpClient and Httpsocket (possibly moving some of the
instance code to the class side)
2. Subclass the two classes
3. Leave them exactly as they are and put all the code in my new Wget
class.

It seems to me that putting it all into the Wget object would make it
easiest for people to use it, but perhaps it makes it harder for people to
reuse the code elsewhere, i.e. some of the 'helper' methods might be
useful in a number of different situations - nothing to do with Wget.
Subclassing the other objects seems simple, but - presumably - if everyone
were to share their work this way we would end up with many many different
versions of the basic classes (perhaps that would be a good thing but it
could also be confusing). Finally, changing the basic objects keeps the
class hierarchy clean, but I imagine most people wouldn't want to have
someone else's code messing around with their classes.

So...  what is the best way to develop Squeak code so that other people
can use it?

Cheers
AB