[Newbies] Re: Re: Metaclass hierarchy - Explanation - Part 1

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Aug 30 17:30:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:50:41 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:
> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:58:54 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:
>>
>>> Hope this is clear. If not, please ask.
>  >> String class
>  >> rule 1) tells us that 'String class' is an object.
>  >> rule 2) tells us that 'String class' is an instance of a class. The
>  >> class is:
>  >> Metaclass
>>  Okay, question: have you done an inspectIt an all the expressions in
>> your posting.
>>  For example, when I do an inspectIt on the expression (String class),
>> I get an instance of Metaclass. In your description, you get an
>> instance of Metaclass for (String class class)
>
> I don't understand you.
>
> (String class) is an instance of Metaclass
> (String class class) is Metaclass

Ah! You wrote 'String class' is an instance of a class. The class is
Metaclass.

And I read: ('String class' is an instance of a class), the class of which
is Metaclass.

You talked about "a class which happens to be Metaclass" and I was
thinking you sent the message #class ...

> inspecting an object shows its class as a title.
>
> Can you rephrase please so that I understand.
>

> I might be wrong :-)

No, not wrong. I was reading it this way, you where writing it that way. A
bit to many "class" words in the same posting.

I should have asked you instead: do you mean this or do you mean that. Now
it's clear for me.

BTW: did you compare the Class/Metaclass schema from Little Smalltalk, it
has the same class/Metaclass names but a much simpler "class is instance
of" schema; mentioned in

- http://www.google.com/search?q=little+smalltalk+a+3-metalevel+system

/Klaus