[Newbies] I am not sure if choose squeak/smalltalk or another language. HELP

Antonio San. supercorreode at yahoo.es
Thu Aug 31 16:02:08 UTC 2006

Hi!

I'm a total newbie at all ;-)
I don't know about squeak, I'm not a programmer... I
only know about linux ;-D So sure I will say a lot of
stupid thinks.

First of all, squeak overload my CPU. 80-90% all the
time, even if I do nothing. Except if I move the mouse
(then I get 100%).
I have a 300Mhz with 64 Mb RAM. Its old, I know, but
it means that I can't program in squeak? And the
worst, it means that all the programs I do (even the
smallest) will eat as much CPU and RAM?

I want to learn to develop programs for building
simple tools for children, math quiz, games for learn
the multiplications, learn vocabulary, etc... I'm a
teacher (in a poor school). I can't afford to buy
computers. We have 4 pentiums 300Mhz with 64 Mb and 4
pentiums 200Mhz mmx with 32Mb RAM. Is squeak /
smalltalk for us? Or it would be better to choose
another language like C,  python or ruby...? (java is
ruled out because the programs in java are veeeery
slow in this PCs)

Second, I don't understand very well squeak one thing,
I have to install an image of squeak, a VM and a
sources file. Why sources file has another version
that image of squeak.

Third, I have read almost all post in the list and I
have the feeling that with squeak/smalltalk I could do
anything, but then, why the projects you can find are
so few and so strange? You can't find an mp3 ripper or
a CD burner or a program for doing a backup or a fast
downloader or a DVD author or a simple image cutter...

Forth, is it possible the comunication with the
exterior of squeak? What I mean is, if we could do,
for example, a gui interface for a console program (a
frontend). Or a program with needs comunication with
special devices like webcams or scanners...?

Thank you.
Regards.

Antonio.