[Newbies] creating a browser

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Dec 2 16:08:56 UTC 2006

Hello Julian,

JD> How do I go about creating a browser like the SystemBrowser?

this question is a bit general. Is it about how to create a tool that
browses classes or is it about crating a UI that contains of several
lists and text-panes?

If it is the latter:
find PluggableMorphsDemo.pr (or email me for it) this is how to make
Buttons, selection lists and texts work as part of a UI.

Then on www.wiki.squeak.org look for "how to layout submorphs". This
is about: you put a LayoutPolicy into a morph, which will make the
morphs you stick into the first morph layout in a certain way.

Often the first Morph is a SystemWindow. Beware, in spite of its name
TableLayout (which is one possible LayoutPolicy) is either a
horizontal layout or a vertical layout, not a table layout :-)).

Actually this is a big topic and more than I'm willing (maybe more
than I'm able) to write here is needed to cover it.

To browse some code, on the class side of class Inspector locate
openAsMorphOn:withLabel:  where you at least will see that the first
element is a SystemWindow which by addMorh gets added several
Pluggable???Morph's which you'll find in the PluggableMorphsDemo.pr.

Maybe on the Swiki (link above) you can locate the documentation
project and they may have something better.

Keep going and come back with more specific questions!

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net