[Newbies] Message/Method

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Tue Dec 5 19:52:33 UTC 2006

	I'm not sure whether to ask this here or on the main list, but I thought
I'd start here.

In a traditional 3GL with objects bolted on, methods are subroutines with
a hidden "self" parameter, so if I write (using, oh, Object Pascal):

MyObject.MyMethod;

I know that MyObject is of a class that has a method (or an ancestor with
a method) called MyMethod.

	I have read things on Smalltalk that suggest to me that:

myObject myMethod.

the selector "myMethod" does not necessarily map one-to-one with a method
named "myMethod".

	But I haven't been able to figure out how that could be, or under what
situation it would be useful.

	Any thoughts?

	===Blake===