[Newbies] working with dates

Kel Graham kel.graham at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:46:21 UTC 2006

Ah - thank you!

It took me a while to realise what the second half of the printFormat:
statement was saying, but got there in the end.

Also, thanks for pointing out the tests in Kernel-Chronology-Tests.. I kept
looking at the Date class, never realising that there were lots of tests in
the next category! A quick use of Method Finder helped me find them..

Cheers,
Kel.

On 12/12/06, Mathieu SUEN <mathk.sue at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have a look at #yyyymmdd
>
> And the test:
>
> testPrinting
>
>         self
>                 assert: date mmddyyyy = '6/2/1973';
>                 assert: date yyyymmdd = '1973-06-02';
>                 assert: (date printFormat: #(3 1 2 $! 2 1 1)) =
> '1973!2!Jun'.
>
> HTH
>
> 2006/12/12, Kel Graham <kel at orawia.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to see how to control the formatting and storage of dates. I'm
> in
> > the UK so would like to store my dates in yyyy-mm-dd format, but display
> > them as dd-mm-yyyy; or as '12 December 2006' sometimes as well. I've
> looked
> > at the Date class, but apart from the printFormat: method (which I can't
> see
> > an explanation of the format) I can't see any easy way of ensuring that
> > squeak converts my dd-mm-yyyy input into a nice ISO yyyy-mm-dd format.
> >
> > Could anyone suggest some classes/code to look at?
> >

> > Thanks very much,
> > Kel.

Kel Graham
www.savvant.com