[Newbies] Re: Re: latest SqueakSource image?

Franz Josef franzl at fjkonrad.de
Fri Dec 22 12:16:59 UTC 2006

I've built my own Squeak Source server some weeks ago and of course I
could make this image available... BUT it's easy to build your own and a
good exercise to improve your skills. I hope my small Howto will work
and help...

1. download the squeak-dev-62 image from damien cassou's web site:
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/squeak-dev-62.zip

2) run this image and install DynamicBindings via SqueakMap

3) install FFI (needed for graphViz later). I've used the Script Manager
at "Prepared Packages" to load it

4) Open a Monticello browser and add http://www.squeaksource.com/ss as a
repository (Squeak Source Repository)

5) Open that repository and install the following packages in exact the
shown order step by step. At some packages you will be asked for
user/password data

KomServices-gk.2.mcz
KomHttpServer-pmm.7.mcz
XML-Parser-mir.9.mcz
VB-Regex-avi.2.mcz
Seaside2-lr.94.mcz
Mewa-pmm.16.mcz
GraphViz-pmm.43.mcz
GraphBuilder-pmm.4.mcz
TinyWiki-lr.10.mcz  (*take care, it's not the newest package*)
SqueakSource-pmm.1012.mcz

6) configure your own Squeak Source Server with changing the class
methods in SSRepository

a) change SSRepository>>defaultRepository when you don't want Lukas as
your super user ;-). The following code only creates one super user. You
can create everything else later TTW.

SSRepository>>defaultRepository
    "member"
    | yourInitials  |
    yourInitials  := (SSMember initials: 'yourInitials') fullname: 'Your
full name';
                 superuser: true;
                 password: 'yourPassword';
                 yourself.
    ^ SSRepository new title: 'SqueakSource for your Name';
         addMember: yourInitials

b) change the method name of the class method initialize to a name you
like for doing your own initialization. You need the following
statements enabled:

initializeTMP
    "-- initialize default repository --"
    Current := self defaultRepository.
    RootUrl := self defaultRootUrl.
    Storage := self defaultStorage.
    "-- save the current repository --"
    self storage saveRepository: self current.
    "-- load the last repository --"
    "Current := self storage loadRepository."
    "-- clear seaside caches --"
    WARegistry clearAllHandlers.
    Smalltalk garbageCollect

7) Open a workspace and "doit"

SSRepository initializeTMP.
SSKom startOn: 8888.

8) save the image

That's it! You should be able to browse http://localhost:8888 (or
http://your-ip:8888). Login with the user/pw you created in your method.

9) Individual configurations (can all be done when you are logged in as
super user)

a) change your e-maill address when you are logged in in "Edit Account"
b) change smtp server and admin mail in "Edit Settings"
c) if you haven't a well configured DNS environment running change the
entry for "Root URL" (also in "Edit Settings) to
http://your-ip-or-valid-dns-enabled-name:8888 (otherwise you will not
download your source).

10) I'm sure I've forgot something but perhaps you will find it out :-).
E.g. how to run the whole stuff on a different port...

If this is too complicated for you (hm, at least you've asked in the
beginners group. But running your own Squeak Source server isn't a
beginners topic IMHO), I can sent you an image.

Hope this helps,
Franz Josef Konrad