[Newbies] Win32 OS functions

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Dec 22 13:45:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 08:38:01AM -0000, david.briant at ubs.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to play around with some cross-thread and cross-process stuff in
> Windows XP. E.g. memory mapped files, windows message sends, named pipes
> and so on and was wondering how to access these methods in Squeak. Any
> pointers would be welcome.

The easiest way to do things like this is with the Foreign Function
Interface (FFI). Usually you can find this in the Squeak image in
the "FFI-*" categories (but for some versions you may need to load it
from SqueakMap). Look at category 'FFI-Examples-Win32' for examples of
what can be done.

This is definitely getting out of "newbie" territory, but if you are
comfortable building your own VM and plugins, you can also load the
OSProcessPlugin from SqueakMap. This provides some Win32 thread and
handle primitives that might be useful to you, or that you can modify
to meet your needs.

Have fun,

Dave