[Newbies] Ruby macros

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Mon Jul 3 17:15:38 UTC 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those Ruby macro's don't actually generate
getters and setters, rather, don't they just setup method_missing to
intercept those calls as if getters and setters actually existed?  Don't the
relationships in ActiveRecord do this as well?  If so, method_missing is the
same as Smalltalk's doesNotUnderstand:, so you can accomplish the same thing
in Smalltalk by overriding new on the class side and implementing methods
like hasOne: and hasMany: to setup a property hash in the object that
doesNotUnderstand: can check to handle messages.  As a newbie, I doubt
you're ready for hacking doesNotUnderstand:, yet, but it's certainly
possible to implement declarative relationships, quite easily in fact.