[Newbies] Will EToys Teach Me to Program in Squeak?

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Jul 6 17:06:00 UTC 2006

Am 06.07.2006 um 18:34 schrieb Greg Smith:

> I actually wish that EToys was introduced and structured so that it
> specifically was aimed at teaching me to program rather than to
> teach me Mathematics and Science.  But maybe it will do both.

The focus of etoys indeed is math and science. It's more a simulation
environment than a system to learn programming. That means it can do
much more than a programming language, but at the same time many
concepts of "programming" are not supported, or sometimes in an
unusual way.

IMHO it's still a good start for anyone, but to specifically learn
programming you will have to switch to "Smalltalk", the language in
Squeak. There is a nice Book by Mark Guzdial about this:

	http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0130280283/

	http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/~mark.guzdial/drafts/

- Bert -