[Newbies] Sqeak install from source under linux problem

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jul 15 14:03:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 04:26:28AM -0700, salmonix wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to install a Squeak-3.8.-6665-i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.77.tar under
> my Slackware-based distro Vector Linux 5.1.
> I followed the README file, compiled the package withour problem it seemed.
> However, I have not been able to find the corresponding squeak files and
> folders  in /usr/local or /lib (as I remember some should be there too) so I
> can not run the program. Unfortunately I have not been able to find hint
> about the solution.

Hi,

Bert explained where the files are installed in his reply, but I would add
a couple of other points.

After you have installed Squeak, you can find the location of the library
files by running "squeak -version" on the command line.

I am guessing that the Squeak-3.8.-6665-i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.77.tar file
is part of your Vector distribution, right? I'm sure that it will work
fine, but it does seem to be missing a couple of plugins that I would
have expected, so I would suggest that you get an up to date version.
You can find this at www.squeakvm.org/unix. The files at this site are
maintained by the creator of the unix VM for Squeak, and they are
always the most stable and up-to-date available.

Dave