[Newbies] Starting

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sun Jun 4 08:07:35 UTC 2006

Hello Mathieu,

m> I was wondering how do squek start. Where is the entry point in the
m> image. Abd so on.

If your question is "What does the Squeak VM do when it loads an
image", I'm not qualified to reply. If nobody else here replies, the
people who know can be found on Squeak dev.

If you mean how to manipulate the start of a squeak image here goes:

The VM accepts a startup script which besides some options takes the
name of an image and the name of a Smalltalk source file which is
executed at startup.

example on Windows: squeak.exe myImage.image myStartup.st
More details on the Swiki, search for VM Command Line Options.

And Squeak has an autostart facility which executes certain methods
when the image starts.

This is done via:
Smalltalk addToStartupList YourStartupClass

YourStartupClass needs a class side method startUp: anIgnoredObject
which is sent at the the start of the image. The parameter of startUp:
is ignored afaik.

Another option is (not tested myself):
SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit:false.
self inform: yourStartupMessge.

If I'm totally beside your question I suggest you come back with a
more specific one.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net