[Newbies] Re: self executable with squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Wed Jun 7 12:27:07 UTC 2006

We save an image with our main application window already opened, and
unwanted things disabled (halos, alt-., menus, etc). Additionally, we
have a class-side #startUp: method to initialize what's necessary on
startup, like re-reading config files etc.

The image is started automatically when double-clicking  "plopp.exe",
or rather a short-cut in the program menu placed there by the
installer. This exe is nothing more than a renamed Squeak.exe, with a
different icon patched in using a resource editor. There is a VM
config file "plopp.ini", which most importantly contains the path to
the image to load (see http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3274).

The exe along with the needed plugins, the image and other data files
is installed in the "programs" directory by a regular Windows
installer (InstallShield).

It's really not too different from other applications, which nowadays
also consist of an executable and several additional files. That the
actual application logic in Squeak's case is not contained in the
executable but in a "data file" is of no concern to the end user.

Note that this is an FAQ item (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/
3563). Feel free to put my explanation on the Swiki, I haven't
checked carefully if a similar answer is already there.

- Bert -