[Newbies] Re: Accessing projects from a Web page

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sun Jun 11 05:50:34 UTC 2006

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:58:09 +0200, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

>>> I suspect that you ran that image manually and saved it
>>> (accidentally) with some non-default preferences.
>>
>> No (did not run the image manually) and yes (saved the image from the
>> Opera browser after install+update code from server) and no
>> (non-default preferences): downloading a fresh copy from
>>  - http://squeakland.org/installers/SqueakPlugin.image.zip
>> this one says 'Squeakland 3.8-05 latest update: #481 Current Change
>> Set: Unnamed1' and also has no "golden" navigator flap (but "show
>> shared flaps" are enabled on the world menu, as before).
>>
>> Perhaps a platform (Opera, WinXP) specific difference? Should there be
>> any other files (besides SqueakPlugin.image) on startup?
> On Fedora Core 5, Firefox (v1.5.0.3) the Petri project works fine, and
> the plugin test loads and shows the text dialog, but no navigator panel.
> Other than the navigator panel not appearing, everything else seems fine.
>
> Opera (Version 9.00 Beta 2): both the plugin test and the Petri image do
> not load. I get a blue rectangle, the hourglass and (in the Petri
> project) the squeakland "Loading" image. But that's it.. kinda stops
> after that. (I stopped using Opera V8 because V9 worked better. )

Opera (8.most.recent) is easy to convince (I remember I had the same
problem getting Petri nets going). Make sure that in C:\Program
Files\Opera\program\plugins you have the following files:
  - Squeak.exe (any recent will do)
  - Squeak3D.dll (provided by the installer, I think)
  - NPSqueak.dll (same)
  - SqueakFFIPrims.dll (any recent will do)
  - SqueakPlugin.image (this one has magic)
The latter can be refreshed from
  - http://squeakland.org/installers/SqueakPlugin.image.zip
It does not matter where the above files come from, you can copy them from
Firefox's or IE's directories, they don't know which browser vendor they
are working for and the browser vendors believe that the NP prefix in
NP*.dll is magic.

I also made sure that my Opera*.ini knows about

application/x-Squeak-Source=6,,C:\Program
Files\Opera\Program\Plugins\NPSqueak.dll,NPSqueak,sts,|Squeak Source
Files(*.sts)
application/x-Squeak-Project=6,,C:\Program
Files\Opera\Program\Plugins\NPSqueak.dll,NPSqueak,pr,|Squeak Project
Files(*.pr)

Since the time I did the above the Petri nets work for me, so I was
surprised that other people do see the "golden" navigator panel. But now
that I learned that it does NOT appear in your case I can sleep much
better :-)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

/Klaus