[Newbies] Squeak and the Keyboard

Shawn MacIntyre smacintyre at mac.com
Thu May 4 13:45:03 UTC 2006

Herbert and Ron,

Thank you for your quick replies. I will try these out!

Another question(s):
I have been trying to learn Monticello...
Is there a good tutorial for it?
How does it compare to CVS or darcs?
When you open a repository, what is the difference between "Load",
"Merge", and "Adopt"?
What are the best practices for it?
If I add a method to a base class, how do add it to my project's
Monitcello repository?

Thank you once again!
Shawn

On May 4, 2006, at 6:58, Herbert König wrote:

> Hello Shawn,
>
> welcome here.
>
> SM> Is there an exhaustive list of keyboard shortcuts?
> SM> If not, how does one find out what keyboard shortcuts are
> defined in
> SM> an image?
>
> In the World Menu, Help, "command key help" will open a workspace
> which contains a big list of command keys.
>

> SM> Is there a vi or emacs keys package for squeak?
>
> SqueakMap has Emacs key bindings. Never used it. Sorry to say SM is in
> a state of transition right now, so maybe this helps:
> Download: ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/goodies/EmacsKeys.cs
>
> Try it in a new image, as it's for Version 3.4!
>
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2909 might be a starting point.
>
> SM> I would love to learn "squeak keys" but from all the
> documentation I
> SM> have read, it seems very notepad-ish. Have I completely missed
> the boat?
>
> I (never having used vi or emacs) feel that squeak has more than
> sufficient command keys, you can judge for yourself after trying the
> above tip.
>
> SM> I use vi and emacs extensively and I love the fact I can customize
> SM> the way the keys work. How can I do this in squeak?
>
> That should be easy, as everything can be customized in squeak. Sorry
> I don't know much about this. If nobody else replies, please come back
> with a separate mail, which has a more specific topic.
>
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1844 might be of more help.
>
> SM> I love the whole browser idea, I just hope I don't have to keep
> SM> touching my mouse so much when navigating the browser and that
> when I
> SM> edit a method, I am able to move quickly around the text without
> SM> touching the mouse.
>
> BTW, if you haven't yet met the tracing messages browser, I think it's
> a great help here. The trick is that a senders or implementors in the
> bottom list will add the method indented to the top list.
>
> Great tool if you work on an algorithm which is distributed over
> several methods of several classes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net
> <tracingMess.gif>