[Newbies] What's the speed of Squeak?

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sat May 6 20:52:48 UTC 2006

I know that with it's heavy graphics front end, it can't be in the upper
range (can it?), but how does it compare to, say, python, ruby, scheme,
and C?

Is it fast enough to write a database in?  etc.

I tried looking on the "computer language shootout", but the only
smalltalk they cover is something called GST (Gnu Smalltalk?), which
they say is for scripting.  Anyway it's too slow for my purposes, but I
heard that Squeak was faster...

I don't need anything as fast as C, but I'd like something faster than
Python.