[Newbies] crossSum

Enrico Schwass deckard73 at freenet.de
Tue May 9 10:30:29 UTC 2006

Hello

First of all. The creation of this mailinglist was a very good idea.
Reading the original list I always felt wrong, because of the very high
level of questions and ... yes answers. Thanks :)

Anyway. I was looking for a crossSum Method for Integers.

e.g. 251 crossSum (sometimes called checksum) should return 8

1234 -> 10

I couldnt find one with method finder. So I wrote one by myself.
And a friend - also a smalltalk newbie - did another one.

Probably both are not perfect.

The first problem is: Where to put the new method? We decide to put it
directly into Integer (arithmetic). There are no side effects, we guess.
Are we right?

Second, we dont know the class library very well. It tooks 20 min to
find the smalltalk equivalent to !=

Its ~= for other newbies :)

So we never know, if we are doing it the smalltalk way.

It would be great if others post their solution and it could be a good
example for describing the test first development cycle, too. Another
area I am not so familiar with. But I am eager to learn this.

BTW: How can I tell method finder to use new implemented methods for
example search? 1. 2. 3. 4. 10 didnt show me crossSum.

Have a nice day
Enno