[Newbies] Postgress Database connection

Shawn MacIntyre smacintyre at mac.com
Tue May 9 17:46:43 UTC 2006

Hi Cédrick,

I'm a newbie too; but I have had success connecting to remote PG72
DBs using Yanni Chiu's postgres client in Squakmap.

Here is some example code that works for me:

PGConnection defaultConnectionArgs
	userName: '*******';
	password: '******';
	hostname: 'p-db-002';
	databaseName: 'trac'.

| db |
Transcript cr; show: 'Connecting to postgres'; cr.
db := PGConnection new.
(db startup; isConnected) ifTrue: [ | results |
	results := db execute: 'select firstname, lastname from employee;'.
	results rows do: [ :row | | data |
		data := row dataKeyedByFieldName.
		Transcript show: 'First: ''', (data at: 'firstname') , ''''; cr.
		Transcript show: 'Last: ''', (data at: 'lastname') , ''''; cr; cr].
	db terminate].

I hope this helps. What version of postgres are you running?

Thanks,

On May 9, 2006, at 9:07, cdrick wrote:

> Hi again...
>
> I'm triing to connect to a remote postgres db without success...
>
> I've use several framework

[snip]
> Can anyone tell me wich tool(package) to use preferably with
> postgres ? because I'm a bit lost at the moment :). Also, if you
> see what are the problems in my connections attempts
>
> Thanks for all
>
> Cédrick

Shawn MacIntyre
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada