[Newbies] Postgress Database connection

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 17:56:22 UTC 2006

Hi Shaun :)

I'm a newbie too; but I have had success connecting to remote PG72
> DBs using Yanni Chiu's postgres client in Squakmap.
>
> Here is some example code that works for me:
>
> PGConnection defaultConnectionArgs
>         userName: '*******';
>         password: '******';
>         hostname: 'p-db-002';
>         databaseName: 'trac'.
>
> | db |
> Transcript cr; show: 'Connecting to postgres'; cr.
> db := PGConnection new.
> (db startup; isConnected) ifTrue: [ | results |
>         results := db execute: 'select firstname, lastname from
> employee;'.
>         results rows do: [ :row | | data |
>                 data := row dataKeyedByFieldName.
>                 Transcript show: 'First: ''', (data at: 'firstname') ,
> ''''; cr.
>                 Transcript show: 'Last: ''', (data at: 'lastname') , '''';
> cr; cr].
>         db terminate].

Thanks for your code ;)
Actually, I found some problem but that was in the remote database...
I had an error message in the write buffer and I got an equivalent from my
shell :s

== psql: FATAL:  Fichier pg_hba.conf manquant ou erroné
== HINT:  Voir les traces du serveur pour plus de détails.

pg_hba.conf is missing or with errors !  I'll hope this is only that...
It's postgress 7.4.7-6 sarge :)

see you

Cédrick

ps: for odbc, drivers have to be downloaded (from postgres) ...