[Newbies] string translation - multi language application

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Tue May 9 19:27:48 UTC 2006

  Cédrick,

> For my project, I need to have an application in french and spanish.
>
> Do you have advice for simple translation mechanism (only strings).

  What version of Squeak are you using?  There is a sort of end-user
tool called LanguageEditor, that lets you enter the original phrase
and the translated phrase.  Once you provide these translations, it is
stored an in-image dictionary and if you put #translated message after
the original string, the result (based on the current locale setting)
is returned.  LanguageEditor is available from the 'open...' menu.
Choose 'Language Editor for...' and the langauge you would like.

  Unfortunately, it does work in some variations but not all of them.
Notably, the one in Squeak 3.8 doesn't work.  I have an impression
that it works in Squeak 3.9 beta.

> Are there any patterns to know about translating ?

  Yes.  #translated (or #translatedTo:) are the common pattern.

-- Yoshiki