[Newbies] halt is cool !

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed May 10 09:48:24 UTC 2006

One of the differences between Smalltalk and most of the systems that
have come after it is that Smalltalk is completely live.  "halt" is
cool because it shows us how much more alive Smalltalk is than other
systems.  You can put "self halt" in some code when you don't know
what it is supposed to do and then write the code knowing the context
it is executing in.  I tend not to use "self halt" for this, but
instead "self error: 'write me'" because sometimes I don't find the
spot for a few days and it is nice to have the error message to remind
me what I was supposed to do.

-Ralph