[Newbies] [Q] How to get the source code of eToy created

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Mon May 15 00:45:58 UTC 2006

  Hello, Young-Jin,

> I am a real novice Squeaker and have a question of how to get the code
> of an eToy I created (or generally source code of morph projects).
> I know how to save the eToy project into *.pr file, but it is not readable file.
>
> As an experienced Java programmer, I want to see what's created from
> the visual programming of eToy and other morph projects.

  It involves quite a few stuff.

  A tile sctipt creates the textual representation internally.  The
textual code is then compiled by the standard Compiler to produce a
CompiledMethod.  If you click on the small rectangle switch in the
"scriptor" (whose balloon help that says: "toggle between showing
tiles and showing textual code"), you can see the decompiled method in
textual form.  You can usually evaluate a part of textual script by
selecting it and choose "do-it" from the right-click menu.  It would
help you to understand what each statement in the script does.

  Because the code is unique to the particular object, it is attached
to a newly created class called a "uniclass".  Uniclass provides the
prototype-based object model on top of the class-based Squeak object
model.

  The objects (and the graph of references between them) are
serialized by the SmartRefStream.  The objects includes the uniclasses
CompiledMethods and tiles, etc.  So, the code is stored as the
serialized objects.  Yes, and that is why it is a binary file.

-- Yoshiki