[Newbies] Re: reading lines from textfiles on Linux

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Tue May 16 10:28:25 UTC 2006

Hi Charles,

on Tue, 16 May 2006 10:48:15 +0200, you <charleshixsn at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> You forgot to tell us
>> a) SmalltalkImage current platformName
>> b) fil lineEndConvention "after fil was opened"
>> c) fil detectLineEndConvention "before the first nextLine"
>>
>> Note that detectLineEndConvention scans only the first (LookAheadCount
>> = 2048) characters.
>>
> OK, I've modified the code to include the detectLineEndConvention, thus:
>
>     | fil lin n |
>     fil    :=    FileStream fileNamed: 'aising/data/technologies.csv' .
>     fil    detectLineEndConvention.
>     "fil defaultToLF."
>     Transcript cr; show: 'LineEndConvention = '; show: fil
>     lineEndConvention.
>     fil  position: 0.
>     n    :=    0.
>     [fil atEnd] whileFalse:
>     [ lin := fil nextLine.
>       n := n + 1.
>       Transcript cr; show: 'lin '; show: n; show: ' = '; show: lin.
>     ].
>      Transcript cr; show: 'normal end after '; show: n; show: ' lines'.
>
> this causes the printout to begin:
>
>     LineEndConvention = nil
>     lin 1 = 'technology'
>     'id'    'name'    'cost1'    'cost2'    'cost3'    'pre1'
>     'pre2'    'pre3'    'danger'    'typeName'    'typeValue'
>     1    'Autonomous Vehicles'    40000    1000    0    27    16    0
>     0        0
>     normal end after 1 lines
>
> as it did before.

Please! Nobody here can see results when you don't print them and copy
them into your next posting! !! Please insert the following code just
after open:

Transcript cr; show: 'detectLineEndConvention = '; show: fil
detectLineEndConvention.

> Linux Squeak3.8-6665full.image
> That's true, but it's a guess at what you're asking for, because I don't
> understand the request for "SmalltalkImage current platformName ".
> Squeak-3.8-6665-i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.7.7.tar.gz is the file I started
> from.

This is Smalltalk jargon, when asked do the following
a) copy and paste SmalltalkImage current platformName into a workspace
b) select the pasted text
c) do a print-it from the context menu
d) copy&paste the result text into your next posting

> The file lines end with an LF (i.e. 0x0a), as examined with a hex
> editor.  Since all lines end with the same character, 2048 is plenty.
> (FWIW, the entire file is only  0x97B bytes long.  It's terminated by an
> ordinary 0x0A, with no special markings.)
>
> Also, I didn't "forget" to do fil detectLineEndConvention.  I didn't
> know I was supposed to do it.

This was only for me to find out what's going wrong. So, what does fil
detectLineEndConvention print?

>  I'm still not sure, since it doesn't seem
> to make any difference.

It was not supposed to make a difference, I just wanted to know what that
prints.

/Klaus