[Newbies] Re: reading lines from textfiles on Linux

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed May 17 20:47:56 UTC 2006

Hi Charles

on Wed, 17 May 2006 21:51:20 +0200, you <charleshixsn at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Perhaps, but the 16r09's are tab characters, and that is an accurate
> description of that part of the file.  Also, now that I think of it
> 16r10 is the same as 0x0A, or line feed, so that part is also correct.

What is correct? In the previous message you said "the first line is the
word 'technology' including the quotes, followed by a line feed."

>> 16r0 (0)     16r27 16r69 16r74 16r65 16r6D 16r73 16r27 16r9 16r9 16r9
>> 16r9 16r9 16r9 16rA 16r27 16r69

C'mon Charles, this *is" the first line (the one you posted earlier) and
it does *not* contain the word 'technology'. This line has 16 characters,
minus 3 quotes, minus 6 tabs, minus 1 line feed, but the word 'technology'
has more than 16 - (3 + 6 + 1) = 6 characters.

What's your problem? What does this have to do with your problems reading
lines from textfiles on Linux?

/Klaus

P.S. w.r.t. your compliant about my opening of files with
#readOnlyFileNamed:, have you seen the difference? I usually do not open
files for writing when all I want is reading, even not on Linux !-: Have a
look at the implementors of #fileNamed: to see what I mean.