[Newbies] Squeak and VisualWorks

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed May 17 22:16:05 UTC 2006

On 5/17/06, Sandy Saline <SSaline at sewardinc.com> wrote:

> I am definitely a Squeak/Smalltalk newbie. I am curious what is the
> relationship (if there is one) between Squeak and VisualWorks?

Squeak and VisualWorks are each descended from Smalltalk-80 R1.  But
since that event in 1980, they have been evolving on their own,
sometimes growing closer, but just as often diverging.  VisualWorks is
probably as close to Squeak as any other Smalltalk, but I think that
Smalltalk X might be closer to VisualWorks than Squeak is.

In any case, like all Smalltalks, the base classes are similar, but
the GUi classes are different.

-Ralph Johnson