[Newbies] Re: workspace on:file

Roel Wuyts Roel.Wuyts at ulb.ac.be
Thu May 18 11:40:45 UTC 2006

It is possible but I have an alternative suggestion: put the code
that is now in the workspace in methods and test cases, kept on
classes. Then you can use file-outs or Monticello packages to have
them versioned with the rest of your code. More in detail:

The only reason for which I use workspaces is for  snippets of code
that I need for a couple of hours. Anything which extends that period
of time I turn into methods, so that they get saved with the rest of
my code. It frequently happens that these methods turn into 'class
methods' in a protocol 'examples' (PS: I fo not know how much of a
newbie you are -- don't hesitate to tell me that I'm talking chinese
here!).

For the methods that you use to test things, turn them into unit
tests. Testing is a very good ractice (I am glad you do already). By
turning the pieces of code into unit tests you (1) will be able to
run them all by themself instead of selecting and executing them
manually one by one, and (2) you can again save them with the rest of
your code. So, if you have some code like the following in your
workspace:

"Test whether + does what I think it does"
3 + 4 "should give 7"

You can:
- create a class 'PlusTest', subclass of TestCase.
- in class PlusTest, create a protocol called 'testing'.
- convert your workspace test in a unit test by putting it in a
method whose name starts with 'test'
testAddition
	self assert: (3 + 4 = 7).
- open the TestRunner tool
- find your class in the list and you can execute your tests.