[Newbies] Re: [Q] Smalltalk book with Squeak

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sat May 20 23:37:45 UTC 2006

Hi Young-Jin Lee,

on Sat, 20 May 2006 23:06:13 +0200, you <youngjin.michael at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Squeakers
>
> I am a complete novice Squeak looking for your advice.
>
> First of all, is the book "Smalltalk by Example: the Developer's
> Guide" available from http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html
> useful to learn Squeak. It look like this book is written with
> VisualWork, but I thought that it might be still useful in learning
> Smalltalk.
>
> Second, can anyone suggest the right way to learn a Squeak?

Since you are already a pro, there probably is no right way which can be
suggested.

> I have read a few online tutorials and one of the books (Squeak:
> Object-Oriented Design with Multmedia Application), but I do not feel
> comfortable with Squeak programming.
>
> I have many years of OOP programming, mainly used C++/Java, so I do
> not need to learn the concept of OOP.
>
> Can anyone share the tips to become an efficient Squeak programmer?

Sure. So you are familiar with OO software development, let's see what you
could do:

a) get used to Squeak (Smalltalk), there is no EMACS, no VI, no LD, etc.
b) make the compiler your friend, he/she is the only one which creates new
objects for you
c) aggressively use do-it and print-it, just for everything new you see in
Squeak
d) there are so many features in Squeak - I cannot list them all, you must
find it out (use google)
e) one example is: select any selector in a method and do an alt-m
(alt-W), etc

f) browse online tutorials and perhaps also more elementary material
(like, The Language and its Implementation) for getting used to syntax and
semantics. Work though every example that you see, write it, test it
(SUnit is Squeak's test runner, it's my best friend, an old reliable)

g) invent new control structures, especially using compiled blocks

h) Squeak is a living being, your objects never die (except when you have
no longer any reference to them). Your objects survive snapshots, they
might destroy your work when revived, bite you and/or scream and shout
(depending on what you tought them ;-)

i) look at what others have done, use the Squeak Map package loader

j) come back here with questions and critique, we are here to help

Hope that was not too much and that you feel comfortable with one or the
other point from that list. As a starter I'd suggest you try and play with
every object in the offering of the alt-o "thing" and often use alt-click
(shows halos) and explore all the halo's offerings.

/Klaus