[Newbies] What kind of application for Squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Mon May 22 14:19:00 UTC 2006

Am 22.05.2006 um 01:46 schrieb Pierre Lebrun:

> Hello,
>
> I'm newby by the newbies and red some tutorials across squeak www.
> I've heard about smalltalk for a long time but just decided to try it.
> I'd like to program a management software for table tennis tournament.
> Is it possible to build that with squeak ?

Squeak is a general-purpose programming environment, so sure, you
could build something like that in Squeak.

> Is it possible to load and run a smalltalk application by a dummy user
> without being faced to smalltalk environment ?

Yes. The way you do it is to actually open your application's main
window inside Squeak and save the image with your app running. Also,
add a "quit" action to your app that quits Squeak. To distribute your
app, bundle a VM executable for the target platform with the image
file, so that double-clicking the executable opens your image, et
voilà, dummy user is happy :)

- Bert -