[Newbies] Re: squeak and the jvm

Michael Kohout mwkohout at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 17:13:17 UTC 2006

Yes, this is what I was referring to.  Hotswapping is sort of there
for the jvm.  When I use Eclipse, it tries to hotswap.  Sometimes it
fails.  Sometimes it doesn't.  But, referring the criteria in my reply
to Ron's email, would loosing guaranteed hotswapping cause Squeak to
"lose it's soul?"  I dunnknow.  I'm a newbie.  And I don't write
Squeak for a living.

But in a Java environment I can tell you it isn't that bad.  And it's
downsides could be mitigated so long as Squeak/JVM could provide some
runtime mechanism to register some services to begin at startup(like
Commanche, etc).  Maybe this would be a tolerable compromose to most
Squeak developers if it provides more opportunities to use Squeak in
the wider world and enlarges it's user base.

But I don't have a clue about #become.  What does it do?