[Newbies] Beginners questions

Jeff hombreviii at myway.com
Wed Nov 8 18:22:59 UTC 2006

I've noticed on the list my mailings don't seem to parse correctly. I don't know why that is, but I can't blame you for not being tempted to wade through them. I wouldn't be either. If anyone can tall me how to solve this, I'd appreciate it.Thanks,Jeff --- On Wed 11/08, lanas < lanas at securenet.net > wrote:From: lanas [mailto: lanas at securenet.net]To: beginners at lists.squeakfoundation.orgDate: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 07:27:57 -0500Subject: Re: [Newbies] Beginners questionsLe Lundi 6 Novembre 2006 18:09, Jeff a écrit :> Hello group!I'm hoping that this beginners list is a good place for a> beginner to get answers to... well, beginner's questions. And so, with that> in mind, I'll ask a few questions. But first, experience has taught me that> I should be a little more clear in what I'm looking for as an answer.> Imagine a total newbie to computers asked a group of experts the question> "How do I run a program under windows?". One member of the group>
decided to respond by handing him a 400 page technical manual on windows> and telling him that everything he wants to know is in there. Upon seeing> that the rest of the group decides that his question has been answered and> sees no need to offer additional assistance. This newbie's question wasn't> actually answered by the group, ultimately what they did was say "ask> the manual". The manual naturally can't hear him so it can't directly> respond to his question, he has to start searching it. After skimming a> bunch of pages and not seeing what he's looking for, (or anything he> understands), he looks in the index. It isn't there. He looks in the table> of contents to see a chapter called "Getting started with> windows". Thinking that looks like what he needs, he flips to it and> it starts out by telling him that the first thing he needs to do is install> windows. Ok, so he looks for this Windows disk. [snip]For what
it's worth, your message appeared as a large chunck of dense text (worse than quoted above) without any paragraphs, filling the windows' text screen like a wall brick.I must be frank and I must say that it was not tempting to wade through and read it.This being said, no, I can't answer your question ;-)Cheers,Al_______________________________________________Beginners mailing listBeginners at lists.squeakfoundation.orghttp://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners