[Newbies] Help (and where to find it) ?

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Nov 10 17:19:53 UTC 2006

Jerry Muelver wrote:
> lanas wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>>   Where is help ?
>>
>>   After years of Linux use and work, I've developed an habit of always
>> looking at the same place for help files, even for newly-installed
>> packages.  Be it the man page, be it the info page, be it the doc/
>> subdirectory of the source package.
>>
>>   Now, how does this go with Squeak ?
>>  Is there a
>> generalized approach to where to find such info in Squeak ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al
>
> Good point, Al. I don't doubt that there are some excellent
> step-by-step "How to program in Squeak" tutorials out there...
> somewhere. But they are not readily accessible, at least not by me. I
> can't find a useful list of such tutorials, even, so I really haven't
> been able to get a good start. I program in Perl, JavaScript, several
> BASICs, Pascal, even (10 or 12 years ago) Smalltalk. But Squeak is
> impenetrable for the beginner.
>
> Most helpful would be a steering guide -- "Start with this tutorial,
> then do this one, and then this..." -- with a brief abstract of the
> instructional objectives for each segment.
Documentation could always be better, but there are quite a lot of info
out there to help. In addition, the Squeak documentation team is putting
together tutorials and assembling docs and helpful hints that are spread
around the ether.
Here are some links to get you started. These, in turn, will provide
additional links for your reference:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2983
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/377
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html