[Newbies] Re: Bugging out of Squeak

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 17 13:56:54 UTC 2006

The option should not be called "Quit without saving", in any language,
unless that is what it does.

If there is a command "Save and quit" followed by "Quit", then the
confirmation for "Quit" should be something like
"Are you sure you want to quit?    Quit / Cancel"
instead of the confusing "Save changes before quiting? yes/no/cancel".

Or, there should just be a single "quit" command that gives the three options.
But that will make some people nervous the first time, because they won't
be sure that saving is an option.  Though if the command before "quit"
is "save",
a nervous person will first save and then quit, and discover when they quit that
they could have just used the quit command and saved as they were quiting.

I've taught Smalltalk to close to a thousand people, so I have had a lot of
experience watching newcomers get confused by little things.  There is no
reason they should get confused about how to quit.

-Ralph