[Newbies] Video question

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Nov 17 19:28:27 UTC 2006

Martial Boniou wrote:
> It's a good question indeed. I think we all should avoid the use of
> proprietary codec. It's not in the open software spirit of squeak. I'm
> working with Mac, NeXTstep and Linux so I am not able to play WMV9/10
> format. Realplayer and Quicktime Sorenson don't work everywhere too.
> I'm starting to do videos too; the goal is to build tutorial of seaside
> for friends (and soon everybody with my website) who don't know anything
> about smalltalk (but java/php). I chose DivX codec. It runs everywhere.
> The robot of one of my friend which is built with ARM9 cpu can read it.
>
> So Andrew, choose divx too. It's not a good format for streaming but it
> works well and it compressed more. Remember to use easy-to-read font.

AFAIK, DivX is a proprietary encoder. It may be free for decoding, but
you pay (at least I did!) for the encoder.
Where can you get it for free?

Alternatively, you could use Xvid - it's published under the GNU GPL
license:
http://www.xvid.org/Xvid-Codec.2.0.html
http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.43.0.html

I use it all the time. It's nice, check it out.