[Newbies] Stand alone application

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Nov 23 11:34:30 UTC 2006

On Nov 23, 2006, at 12:14 , Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bert Freudenberg escribió:

>>> I hope someone will.  I have no burning desire to create a "stand
>>> alone" Squeak application, but it would still be interesting to
>>> know.
>>
>> Also, you might want to have a look at Sophie:
>>
>>     http://www.sophieproject.org/download/install
>>
>> It uses the same cross-platform directory layout I developed for
>> Plopp. In contrast to Plopp, Sophie is not locked-down, because it
>> is still in heavy development, but you should get the idea of how
>> a double-clickable Squeak app looks like.
>
> Talking about Sophie, I have been tried to run Sophie in a Linux
> box for a while without any success (well from the first try to the
> last one things are better, but still not running). I asked in the
> forums and there is not answer.

Actually, your question was answered on the mailing list. The
installation instructions were wrong for Linux - maybe you just try
again, the instructions have been corrected.

> I tried emulation with wine and get a little more, but still not
> working. I'm wondering why multi platform apps made on Squeak seems
> to run better on Mac that in anything else. ¿It's related with the
> platform used by developers (which seems to be Mac) or the
> particular dependencies of this app?

Well, one of the problems is that there is no "Linux" per se. It's a
moving target, there is a lot of variety between distributions. Even
if you restrict it to the ix86 platform and ignore all the other
architectures, there are few things that you can really rely on. In
particular as soon as it comes to Multimedia. For example, Plopp does
run on Linux, too - but we can not guarantee it.

In Sophie's case, they use a few new plugins, which might not yet be
available on Linux. There are some Mac developers, some Windows
developers, but only one Linux developer AFAIK. The target market for
Sophie is non-developers, and looking at market share you have to
support Win and Mac before everything else. That said, contributions
from Linux developers would certainly be welcome.

- Bert -