[Newbies] >> notation

Another Dave dooright101 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 17:28:27 UTC 2006

stephane ducasse wrote:

> Dave normally
>
>  >> is not part of a method definition.
>
> Just the what is after it. in the browser.
>  >> is used by authors to give contextual information.
>
> Now in Squeak you can do
>
> 	Point>>#x to get the compiled method x of class Point
> 	but this is query the meta information of classes.
>
> Stef

Stephane, bless you for all the great work you have done in teaching
Smalltalk!

I'm not anywhere near the level to appreciate Point>>#x yet. I'm still
grappling with what you mean by "contextual information".

You mention the browser, how would I use it to understand the
MyClass>>doThis statement? Or is this even a good example for understanding
">>"?