[Newbies] >> notation

Emilio Oca eoca at afip.gov.ar
Thu Nov 30 18:16:06 UTC 2006

Dave

> You mention the browser, how would I use it to understand the
> MyClass>>doThis statement? Or is this even a good example for
> understanding
> ">>"?

MyClass>>doThis is not a statement of the Smalltalk language it is just
notation, a way to say (or write) the contents (or definition) of a method.

When you write:

MyClass>>doThis
 array := Array new: 3.
 array at: 1 put: 2.

It means that if you browse to the class MyClass, then to the method whose
selector is #doThis you will find:

doThis
 array := Array new: 3.
 array at: 1 put: 2.

Another example, if I include in a mail the following text:

String>>sameAs: aString
    "Answer whether the receiver sorts equal to aString. The
    collation sequence is ascii with case differences ignored."
    ^(self compare: aString caseSensitive: false) = 2

It means that I am (may be) asuming that the class String exists, that it
has a method whose selector is #sameAs: and it's definition is:

sameAs: aString
    "Answer whether the receiver sorts equal to aString. The
    collation sequence is ascii with case differences ignored."
    ^(self compare: aString caseSensitive: false) = 2

Try it, go and find the method sameAs: of the class String.

I hope this helps.

    Emilio