[Newbies] How do I embed GIFs in a change-set?

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Wed Oct 4 14:20:39 UTC 2006

Hi Ken,

The thing to remember is that files are just collections of bits.  You can
take the bits and convert them to a compact string, then expand that string
when you need it to create a new file.  The compact string can be placed in
a method and saved as part of a change set.

The main issue with GIF is that you need to change the stream to binary.

Here is an example from seaside:

seasideBanner
	"This is a copy of
http://www.netstyle.ch/include/seaside/pics/top.jpg"
	"(((
		| mimeDoc |
		mimeDoc _
'http://www.netstyle.ch/include/seaside/pics/top.jpg' asUrl
retrieveContents.
		Clipboard clipboardText:
			(Base64MimeConverter mimeEncode: mimeDoc content
readStream) contents
	)))"
	^self base64Decode:
'/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wB [...snip...]
BPpS0UAFFFFABRRRQAUUUUAFFFFABRRRQAUUUUAF
FFFABRRRQB//2Q=='

base64Decode: aString
	^ (Base64MimeConverter mimeDecodeToChars: aString readStream)
contents

You can see in the comments of the seasideBanner how then got the string to
store.  I had to change the code some and wrote a retrieveBinaryContents for
3.9.  You just need to send the message binary to the stream to convert it
to a binary stream.

If you need a more detailed explanation please let me know.

Hope that helps!

Ron Teitelbaum