[Newbies] general questions about squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Oct 5 13:35:05 UTC 2006

Am 05.10.2006 um 15:09 schrieb Esteban Robles Luna:
> Is this hardcoded in the VM? or is SmalltalkImage responsible of the
> start up process and then delegates the control to this process?

The VM does not care. It just resumes executing the frozen context,
that is, whichever context called the snapshot primitive.

> I think that you misunderstand me. The only thing I want from the OS
> is that I can open new windows. HostWindowPlugin works?.

Yes, although it has not been ported to X11, yet. Works on Mac and Win.

> I want to
> have my own widgets implemented in smalltalk, but I want them to look
> and feel like OS ones.

Well, VisualWorks tried, and failed IMHO. *If* you want to get native
feel, use native widgets.

> Why? Because for normal people is costly to get used to new widgets
> like Morphic ones.

Hmm, other software (like Firefox) is accepted even with non-native
look and feel.

> I need a simple framework like MVC, but with an improved looking.

It might be a challenge to make MVC support multiple independently
updating windows. But sure, this can be done, looking forward to it :)

- Bert -