[Newbies] Time

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Oct 7 12:13:19 UTC 2006

Am 06.10.2006 um 18:17 schrieb Steve Linduska:

> Wonder about the ways to handle 'time' in Squeak.
>
> For example, LOGO has commands for wait/waituntil x amount, or
> 'timing'.

Hi Steve,

do you mean in Etoys or in Smalltalk? In Smalltalk code, you can use
"(Delay forMilliseconds: x) wait". However, this blocks the current
process, that is the whole UI in Morphic.

Given your LOGO reference I guess you mean Etoys. Etoys version 1
(the current, Morphic-based version) does not have this feature,
because it depends on scripts ticking in parallel (blocking would
prevent that concurrency). You can, however, set the ticking rate of
a script to adjust the speed at which actions are performed.

Etoys 2 (based on Tweak) does support waiting, it simply provides a
"wait x sec" tile. Internally this uses a Delay, but since Tweak is
multi-threaded (in contrast to Morphic), other scripts will continue
to operate.

> Confidentiality Notice:  This email and any attachments are covered
> by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.§§2510-2521
> and contain privileged and confidential information intended only
> for the use of the individual or entities named.

This is a public mailing list with public archives, so this
disclaimer is nonsense.

- Bert -